Hello all,
I'm a newbie here on NotebookReview and probably something a n00b when it comes to computers considering some of the stuff I've read on here. I did work in tech support for several years so I'm not completely illiterate, but most calls were related to internet connectivity rather than hardware or software issues.
Recently my Windows 10 laptop, a Dell Inspiron, suffered a boot failure due to a bad hard drive so I'm looking for a new laptop. Since I'm not exactly flush with funds, I'm willing to economize to a degree, but I'm really not willing to invest more than $500 in a computer that's expected to break down in 18 months. Hopefully, someone here will be kind enough to provide some suggestions on a relatively durable and somewhat versatile machine even if I'm not the most tech savvy person. Thank you in advance
The form:
1) What is your budget?
My budget is around $700, though I can go up to $1400 if I'm absolutely convinced that the extra cost will equal extra life.
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
I'd like something between 13" and 15", nothing over 16"
3) Where will you be buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
The United States for purchase and primary use.
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Like - I've had pretty good experiences with Toshiba and Dell but I'm certainly willing to consider others.
Dislike - I really didn't like my sister's Sony Vaio.
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
Yes. I like new, but refurbished is fine, as long as it was handled by a reputable source.
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Word processing for work and pleasure, lots of web browsing, data storage, light gaming, some video watching, possibly photo or video editing
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
My laptop will be expected to travel with me to events and conventions, as well as allow me to work wherever I want in my home.
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Sims 2, 3, maybe 4.
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
Anything over 4 hours or so is fine.
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
I would consider an online purchase from a reputable source.
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Windows (7 or 10) is preferable, but Mac OS is okay. I don't have any experience with Linux. In another situation, I'd be willing to learn Linux, but not right now.
Screen Specifics
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
Midrange Resolutions: WXGA+, HD+, 900p
Actual resolutions: 1440x900 and 1600x900
13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
Matte. I don't like the glare from glossy.
Build Quality and Design
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
No, they are not a major consideration. I'm typing on it, not taking pictures of it.
15) When are you buying this laptop?
ASAP! preferably within the next week or two.
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
2.5+ years. I don't think any $500+ appliance should have to be replaced on an almost yearly basis.
Notebook Components
17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
500GB at least. I'd love SSD, but it's not mandatory. I do, however, need a significant amount of hard drive space as I'm often in areas where wifi isn't available (yes, they still exist) and I need to be able to access my stuff without pulling it in from the cloud.
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
CDRW/DVD-ROM. Burner and Blu-Ray are not necessary.
Other notes:
RAM: at least 8GB, preferably expandable.
Keyboard: I'd really like a backlit keyboard.
Sound/Speakers: decent speakers would be a nice bonus, but not required.
USB: I would like more than 2 USB 2.0 spots, and USB 3.0 would be lovely.
Durability: I like to think I take care of my electronics, but it's likely to be carted around in a backpack or messenger bag so it should be reasonably sturdy.
Looking for a laptop that will actually last . . .
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire