jeudi 11 août 2016

Stuck between two laptops: Please help!

Hello fellow forumers!

So the title quite says it all: I'm in an urgent need for a medium to heavy gaming/multimedia laptop (since my almost 6 YO Acer is dying), and the shop nearby offers many units. I came to a conclusion but ended up stuck between these two: (Prices are with import tax included, don't be surprised if it's a bit too much)

MSI GE62 6QD - i7 6700HQ - Geforce GTX 960M (2GB GDDR5) - 16GB DDR4-2133Mhz - 1TB 7200RPM - 256GB SSD (Sata III) - Price: 1450$

MSI GE62 6QE - i7 6700HQ - Geforce GTX 965M Ti (2GB GDDR5) - 8GB DDR4-2133Mhz - 1TB 7200RPM - No SSD - Price: 1370$


1) What is your budget?

1500$. Enough to cover these two!

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
Morocco, through a reseller nearby. So I must pay the import tax.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
I have already decided MSI will be my next laptop brand.
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
No. Only new.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
School works, programming and modeling (Autocad and Matlab), Video editing (Sony Vegas), Image editing (Photoshop), Emulators (PCSX2) and few games.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
I'll take it almost everywhere, but I won't be doing heavy tasks on battery, as it'll be plugged in most of the time anyway.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
PCSX2, it might require high end specs to run games smooth.
GTA V
Most Need for Speed games (except the newest one)
League of Legends

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
Not really a concern. But 3 to 4 hours is fine.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
I'm buying from a reseller, so yes I can see them.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Windows.

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read.
1920x1080 is perfect.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
Any, as long as it's an IPS screen with a good contrast. The MSI laptops both offer brilliant screens.

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
Yes, I'm more into metallic/brushed aluminium builds and the backlit keyboard MSI offers in their G series.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Soon. I must be getting it by September 1st.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
3 years at min. I want to finish studies and still have it beside me.

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
1TB is enough. The SSD would suit me perfect for extra loading speed and windows performance, BUT I can compromise it for more GPU horsepower.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

Yes. These MSI laptops offer Blu-Ray Drives. It suits me fine!

Few notes to take into account:
1- Before anyone mentions it: NO, I can't wait for Pascal laptops to come. we are almost back to school and I must have an operational laptop with everything I need installed and copied. I can't really use this Acer for another year. I'm pretty positive waiting is a lot more worth it, but it's beyond me. :(
2- I asked about the Geforce GTX965M, and yes, it's the newer 2016 model, with higher default max clock speeds. So it is supposed to deliver approximately 19% better benchmarks than the old 965M, making it only 20% weaker than its powerful sibling (970M).
3- I know some people would suggest the 970M, But I unfortunately cannot, in any way, go for it, because the cheapest unit costs 1800$. (Yes, don't ask me how, but 970M is extremely overpriced here).
4- These are the best configurations offered for this price range in my country. I looked everywhere. I couldn't manage to find resellers with a 965M + SSD. They only offer one without the SSD.
5- I have disassembled many desktops and laptops in the past, I can do the same with MSI laptops. Upgradeability should not be an issue for me, if anyone wonders.
6- I'm very open to more suggestions!

I would really be thankful if somebody manages to explain why I should go for a model with enough reasons for me to agree.

Thank you a lot!

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Stuck between two laptops: Please help!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire