lundi 15 août 2016

i7 6820HK thermal throttling

Hi everybody,

I have an Alienware 17 R3 (shipped during October of 2015), with a i7 6820HK and a 980M.
And for the past two months I encountered a lot of thermal throttling with the CPU.
The weird things being:

  • I'm using the computer in a room with AC, so the temps of the environment did not change because of summer.
  • The throttling starts when the CPU package temp reach only 75°C. I've been using a lot of different gaming laptop for the past years and 75°C doesn't hit as a high temperature.
  • The thermal throttling mainly consist of a lowering of the CPU frequency to 0.79GHz (resulting in a lower power consumption and then temperature, of course) and seems to resume regular behavior when reaching 50 degrees.

Needless to say that any games I could be playing will suffer very low FPS during the two minutes this thermal throttling is happening.

I tried to see if some overclocking parameters could allow me to increase the temperature threshold without success, but to be honest, I never overclocked a CPU before, only the GPUs.

Does someone have any idea about this situation, is it the normal behavior, is it possible to alter it?

Thank you for reading!

Let's block ads! (Why?)



i7 6820HK thermal throttling

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire