dimanche 14 août 2016

Help replacing my trusted laptop

Hello!

Before filling the form and give you more specific informations on what I am looking for I would like to take a few lines to explain my situation.

I bought a new Acer Aspire V5-131-10172G50nss over a year and a half ago for 200 AU$. ~150 USD
I was quite happy with it but I broke the screen and the computer repair place wants 200$ to fix it.
It made me quite upset because there is no reason why a screen repair would cost as much as the whole computer but I live in a part of the world where people just throw stuff away to buy new ones because wasting rare and expensive ressources is good business.
I guess I have to play with those rules and just spend the same kind of money on a better machine.

I started looking on amazon and was surprised to realize the laptop market has totally changed. Chromebooks, tablets hybrids and so on. They sure look nice but the specs on those are just terrible... I don't need to sacrifice on computer power to have a tactile screen when mouse and keyboards are so much more effective (And I have big fingers!). I do not want a 16GB hard drive because I will have to carry a portable hard drive: same weight, more annoyance.

After 2 hours browsing amazon to find a real computer and not a tech gadget I gave up and came here to look for advice.
I know my view on all those new gen device can seem a bit harsh but I used to only own gaming desktops before I started travelling and high specs for low price is more important to me than tactile, design and ultra light weight.

I am looking for an old school laptop with computer power equal or superior to what I got 2 years ago:
- 500 GB hard drive
- 2Gb (8 max) RAM
- 1.6 GHz
- 6.5h battery life
- A decent chipset that allows me to play old video games and movies.
-No more than 2kg

Thanks a lot and here for the form!
==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
250-300 AU$ or 220 US$

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

All of the above

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

New Zealand (on amazon for example)

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

No preference as long as it's a good quality

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Gladly!

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Writing, playing old video games (Fallout 3 would be the more graphical intensive game I except it to run), internet browsing, playing movies.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

I travel around the world so it will be constantly on the move

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Games at least 8 years old:
-Civilization 5
-Fallout 3
-Minecraft
-Heroes 3

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

6-7 hours but more is always better

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

It is OK, I trust online reviews

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows, Linux. Absolutely no Mac OS, I boycott those guys.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

1366x768

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

I don't really care.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Nope

15) When are you buying this laptop?

ASAP

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

As long as possible...

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

500GB minimum, more is better. I do not care about SSD

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No

==========

A million thank you if you can find something suitable for me!

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Help replacing my trusted laptop

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire